Sunday, July 25, 2010

People We Covet: Your Dream Dinner Party

My friend Melissa and I were having a conversation a few days ago about people you would love to have over to your house for a dinner party. The rules were as follows: your guests can be any real people from any time or place, and you can have seven guests plus yourself for a nice round number of 8 total. A handful of people shared their lists with me, including Melissa. Answers ranged from the expected (an English professor friend of mine wanted to invite Emily Dickinson and Barbara Kingsolver) to the surprising (someone wanted to invite me!). Some compromising went on: Melissa said that we could have one big combined party and that she would invite Roger Maris so that I didn't have to, thereby avoiding making an admission of admiration for a New York Yankee (for those of you who don't know, I don't even BELIEVE in the Yankees), and another friend of mine suggested that each of our guests be allowed to bring a guest, making for a bigger and better event.

I think we're really onto something here, which is why I decided to report on my dinner party list this month  instead of making my typical People We Covet post. So here it is, in alphabetical order: Ray Bradbury, Don Cherry, Bobby Flay, George Gershwin, Alexander Skarsgard, Vincent van Gogh, and Denzel Washington.

Of course, all of this is subject to change at, literally, any moment. However, for right now, these are the guests I would love to have. (Never mind that it would be impossible to get them all together, two of them being quite dead and the rest of them very busy.) But everyone on the current list makes perfect sense, because they come from areas that interest me: literature (Bradbury, of course, wrote my favorite book, Fahrenheit 451), hockey (Don Cherry is a legendary player, coach, and commentator, and he has the best collection of suits known to man), food (Bobby Flay! 'Nuff said), music (George Gershwin was one of the composers who helped make American music its own thing in the 20th century), film and television (right off the top of my head, I swear to you that I can't think of two men more beautiful than Alexander Skarsgard and Denzel Washington, plus Denzel is a hell of an actor--as he says in Training Day, "King Kong ain't got shit on me"), and art (my favorite painting in the whole wide world was done by van Gogh).

Who would be at your dinner?

-Cate-

No comments:

Post a Comment