Thursday, July 29, 2010

Incandescence

Jane Brox is the author of several non-fiction books, the latest of which, Brilliant: The Evolution of Artificial Light, was published earlier this month. Now, before we go on, I need you to know something: unlike the books I've mentioned before on this blog, I have NOT read this one yet, although I would very much like to someday. Rather, I'm sharing it with you because I was lucky enough to meet Brox last month and hear her read from Brilliant. I have to say, I never thought light would be so fascinating to me as it was the night I encountered Brox, and on the strength of that one night alone I want to recommend this book to you.


By the way, Brox is an unassuming lady. She's not at all flashy, but she is very interesting.  And  besides--anyone who could make a description of the street lamps of London interesting to me (and, in fact, an auditorium full of people) must be pretty okay, right?


Photo: Powell's.

-Cate-

No comments:

Post a Comment