Friday, July 30, 2010

"And the Pavements Are Burning"

As you may have noticed, we are in the thick of summer. While this may not be so obvious to those of you living in cooler climes, it is decidedly apparent here in North Carolina. So, of course, this calls for many discussions of the greatest summertime songs. Naturally, there are the classics: "Summertime Blues," "School's Out," pretty much anything by the Beach Boys, et cetera. However, my personal favorite is "Cruel Summer" by Bananarama.

Nowadays, Bananarama is one of those under-the-radar groups, at least in the States (their most recent album, Viva, was released last year, although I haven't heard it yet, and their previous album, Drama, from 2005, didn't suck). But in the 80s, Bananarama was a pretty big deal. They were big enough, in fact, to have one of their songs immortalized in that quintessential 80s film The Karate Kid. And that song was "Cruel Summer."

"Cruel Summer" isn't for everyone. This time last year, I had it playing constantly--I was at home, I was bored, and I was cut off from the few people I wanted to see. So it made a lot of sense. And it was perfect for Daniel in The Karated Kid, too--he was in the same boat (well, almost). Besides, it has a hot, driving beat with great percussion, some pseudo-funky guitar work (very much influenced by "Train in Vain" by the Clash, I think), and--although the Bananarama girls may not have the most polished voices ever--the youthful vocals drive the point of the song home very well. Plus, bonus? The song was covered by Ace of Base in 1998, and I know you know I love me some Ace of Base.

I suppose what I'm really trying to tell you is that if you're having a mediocre, or perhaps a bad, summer, you should turn to Bananarama in your hour of need. They understand your pain perfectly. I promise.

Buy through Amazon for $0.99.

-Cate-

PS If you were interested by yesterday's post about Brilliant: The Evolution of Artificial Light and would like to know more, you might consider reading this article at Salon, which appeared on Wednesday, or this brief review by Tina Jordan at Entertainment Weekly!

No comments:

Post a Comment