Friday, July 2, 2010

Banjos and Fiddles!

If there's anything I like more than talent, it's local talent. I was delighted, then, when I learned of the Carolina Chocolate Drops, a band from Durham, North Carolina.

They specialize in old-time music, which I hadn't realized I enjoyed. Each member plays a number of instruments--banjo, fiddle, jug, and who knows what else. Rhiannon Giddens has a fantastic voice, but the others do their share of the singing as well.

Their latest album, Genuine Negro Jig, features a variety of music. They cover Blu Cantrell's "Hit 'Em Up Style," but the classic "Reynadine" appears as well. I haven't heard them all, but I am enough impressed with "Hit 'Em Up Style" and "Cornbread and Butterbeans" (which sounds delicious!) that I would buy the album if I had the funds.

I have just one problem with the Carolina Chocolate Drops: Their upcoming appearances in North Carolina are all in the mountains. What gives.

1 comment:

  1. You sold me on this based on Blu Cantrell. I cannot believe that someone other than me knew she existed and enjoyed her music! I'm glad you posted on my groupthink comment, because I really like your blog.

    ReplyDelete