Monday, July 12, 2010

Magic Girls

Last month, I wrote about one of my favorite film adaptations of a book, Atonement. This month, I'm focusing on another: The Virgin Suicides


I have to tell you that this is legitimately the best adaptation of a book I've ever seen. Sofia Coppola really captured the essence of Eugenides' work, ripping a great deal of the dialogue and narration straight from the book and zooming in on the Lisbon girls in such a way as to fascinate the viewer so that we feel the same as the neighborhood boys who are absorbed completely by these young ladies. And the dreamlike, watercolor sheen is a real visual pleasure. Coppola couldn't have done better with her feature-length debut.

Buy the book through Books-a-Million for $7.56 and the film through Family Video for $7.99.

Photo: Family Video.

-Cate-

No comments:

Post a Comment