Sunday, July 4, 2010

I Have a Bag Here

I carried it to my apartment in my hands, even.

It's a brown paper bag. On the bag is a picture of a boat. Below the boat we see the words, "Manteo Booksellers."

That's right. I went to the bookstore yesterday. I bought two trashy romance novels and one fantasy sequel.

First I picked up Sabrina Jeffries's The Pirate Lord. The pirate on the cover looks like an unbearded, manlier version of Jack Sparrow. Maybe that's just how pirates dress, with the beads and stuff. I don't know. The pirates of my youth were always less Jack Sparrow and more Edward Teach. But I'm sure that Captain Gideon Horn is manly enough for Sara Willis. Whoever she is.

After fetching that from the romance section, I found Naomi Novik's Throne of Jade in the fantasy section. I had purchased and read His Majesty's Dragon the last time I was here, so I thought I'd keep reading, though I'm not sure I want to encourage this habit fantasy writers have of making lengthy series out of everything.

Then, in the bestsellers section, I found Julia Quinn's Ten Things I Love About You. How exciting! It's a sequel to What Happens in London, which my friend Sharon and I thoroughly enjoyed. Unfortunately, there's some chick on the cover. I'm not sure why. I have no interest in her cleavage or bared leg. Oh well.

I suggest you buy all of these from a small, local bookshop.

1 comment:

  1. 1) Sabrina Jeffries!

    2) You forgot to mention that Blackbeard had, legitimately, the best pirate flag EVER. Also, Ocracoke!

    ReplyDelete