Friday, July 9, 2010

A Musical Gem


Although she's not my favorite musician of all time, I occasionally enjoy listening to Jewel. Her latest album, Sweet and Wild, was release last month, and from the sound of it, she has taken the opportunity to move completely into the realm of country music. Four years ago, when Goodbye Alice in Wonderland was released, the country twang was already evident in her work. To me, parts of  Alice sound like country crossover songs, along the lines of some of Sheryl Crow's recent work, or maybe late-era Dixie Chicks.

"Only One Too" is by far my favorite track on the album. It tells a story: girl falls for fascinating guy; guy turns out to be a little too cavalier; girl fights back, declaring, "You're so good, but not so good I can't see." And who among us can't relate to such a predicament? And Jewel's fun, flirty delivery makes the song eminently sing-along-able. Personally, I think it's also a good summertime tune, with its sunny guitars and rolling drums. Check it out if you like Jewel or if you just want to hear something new!

Buy through Amazon for $0.99.

Photo: Wikipedia.

-Cate-

PS Since it's music day, I thought I should let you know that Kylie Minogue's new album, Aphrodite, is now available! I haven't had a chance to hear the whole thing yet myself, but trust that someday I'll probably share my impressions of it with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment