Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Easy Pizza?

I'm the first to admit that mine is not the most refined of palates. I love Chinese buffets and chain restaurants. Pop-Tarts make me very happy. And take-out pizza is a great pleasure. Unfortunately, neither my bank account nor my body can support very much in the way of take-out pizza. So I have to make my own using store-bought ingredients. And from time to time, I even like to experiment, branching out beyond my usual pineapple-only slices. Last week, I was making faux tomato and spinach pizza.


The inspiration came from slices sold by an Italian food store in the town in which I grew up.* The official name is Roasted Garlic Spinach Pizza, and it is delicious but geographically inaccessible. Of course, that doesn't stop me from craving it! Hence the (largely disastrous but not inedible) experiments.

The ingredients of the pizza are listed thus: extra virgin olive oil, garlic, tomatoes, spinach, onion, mozzarella cheese, and an unidentified mixture of seasonings. All right, that's not so bad. But without the exact recipe at my disposal, it's not easy, either. So I tried various combinations thereof without ever hitting the (really) sweet spot. But for your benefit, I'd like to share the most successful combination: sliced regular tomatoes (on-the-vine), sliced onions, a few pieces of baby spinach, some garlic from a jar (but only because I hate the way my fingers smell after I slice a fresh garlic clove), and mozzarella on sourdough bread if you want a quick, microwaveable option or store-bought pizza dough mix if you want an actual meal.

You can tweak all of the ingredients to your liking, of course, and if anyone has any tips for me, I'd love to hear them!

*Although I would very much like to give credit where it is due, in order to protect my anonymity, I've chosen not to share the name of the store. I hope that all involved will understand and forgive me!

Photo via here.

-Cate-

PS Speaking of Pop-Tarts, click here to read the greatest news a Pop-Tarts girl ever heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment