Saturday, August 28, 2010

A Mexican Touch

My friend Noelle sometimes stays in my apartment for a night or two, and when she does, she always brings the best stuff with her. Sometimes it's a DVD for us to watch; one time, after she stayed there while I was out of town, I found that she had left me several tea bags in a variety of flavors. My favorite thing she's brought so far, though, is a recipe for a black bean and corn salad.


While I wrote about a white bean salad on Wednesday, I still wanted to share this black bean salad with you because it has a totally different vibe but is very delicious, as well. I don't know where Noelle found the recipe, but I got it from her, and so I'll repeat it exactly as I learned it from her:

1 can black beans, drained
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 package cherry tomatoes, halved
Cilantro to taste
Fresh lemon juice to taste
Salt to taste

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Serve chilled or at room temperature.

Now, I'm not a big fan of buying fresh lemons, because I only ever need one half at a time and can never figure out what to do with the other half of the lemon afterward, so I almost always use the bottled stuff (you know, the kind that is in the shape of a lemon). And let me tell you, I am a madwoman with that stuff. I can't get enough. You could also use lime juice, since this has a Mexican taste to it anyway, thanks to the black beans and cilantro. As far as the salt is concerned, I don't think you need very much, especially if you let the salad marinate in the refrigerator overnight.

This salad will keep for two or three days, so if you're cooking for just yourself, you can pair it with different entrees (for example, grilled chicken or fajita/skirt steak) across several meals. And it is super-easy to make, which makes me very happy. Try it today!

Photo via here.

-Cate-

1 comment:

  1. Ahahaha. I'm in this post!

    And P.S. I stole this recipe from my mom, who completely forgets that she gave it to me. In fact, when I make it, she says, "Wow, where did you come up with this?" So I've started to say that it was a stroke of genius after not sleeping for two days. Because that's much more interesting and dramatic than "Mom, you told me".

    ReplyDelete