Wednesday, August 18, 2010

"If that doesn't fill the void, nothing will."

In May, Cate wrote about a book on the matryoshka. I, too, have been fascinated by Russian nesting dolls; I remember there being one, probably of a child-friendly design, in my kindergarten classroom.

Considerably later than kindergarten, I discovered the wonder that is Golden Girls. Old ladies! Old ladies being funny! Old ladies making lewd jokes! Blanche Devereaux, simultaneously a Southern Belle and a brazen hussy! Sophia Petrillo, herself at most a fourth the size of her wit! Rose Nylund, one of the most intelligent inhabitants of St. Olaf! And, of course, Dorothy Zbornak, extremely tall, and the sayer of the title quote.

Never did I imagine that the matryoshka and the Golden Girls could combine to create...this.

That's right. Golden Girls as nesting dolls. Complete with Dorothy as the tallest and Sophia as the smallest.

These fantastic dolls appear not to be for sale, so I only have them in my dreams. Them and and a pony.

No comments:

Post a Comment